Who are we?
National University System (NUS) was established in 2001 to meet the emerging demands and challenges for education in the 21st century. The nonprofit system is comprised of university and education-related affiliates that, together, endeavour to provide an exceptional student experience to lifelong learners.
With programs available both online and at its many campus locations, NUS is a leader in creating innovative solutions to education and meeting the needs of a diverse student population, including adult learners and working professionals.
NUS affiliates include:
National University: An accredited private nonprofit university with a unique one-course-per-month format and flexible online and onsite certificate, credential, and degree programs. National University is a private, nonprofit institution of higher education in California. Founded in 1971, National University is headquartered in La Jolla, California, United States.
John F. Kennedy University: An accredited private nonprofit institution with doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees, certificates, and extended education programs.
City University of Seattle: An accredited private nonprofit university offering doctoral, master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degree programs delivered onsite and online.
National University Virtual High School: An accredited online high school offering Advanced Placement and UC "a-g" approved courses in a flexible, student-centered format.
National University Academy: Tuition-free K-12 public charter schools offering a dynamic, innovative learning environment.
What We Collect and Why
National University Virtual High School collects some anonymous information each time you visit its website, so it can improve the overall quality of your online experience. It collects your IP address, referral data, and browser and platform type. You do not have to register with National University Virtual High School before we can collect this anonymous information.
National University Virtual High School website does not require you to share information that identifies you personally, such as your name or e-mail address, for you to use the website. The National University Virtual High School website may assign an anonymous ID number to your request(s) and links the following additional data to that number: the date and time you visited the website, your search terms, and the links upon which you choose to click. Like most standard website servers, we use log files to collect and store this anonymous user information. National University Virtual High School analyzes the information to examine trends, administer the site, track user’s movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
National University Virtual High School may set and access National University Virtual High School or partner cookies on your computer. A cookie is a small data file that a website may send to your browser and which may then be stored on your system. We may occasionally use both session cookies and persistent cookies. For the session cookie, once you close the browser, the cookie simply terminates. A persistent cookie is a small text file stored on your hard drive for an extended period of time. Persistent cookies can be removed by following Internet browser help file directions.
Special Notification with respect to Children’s Privacy (Users under the age of 13)
In response to concerns about protecting children’s privacy online, Congress enacted the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (“COPPA”), which sets forth rules and procedures governing the ways in which websites may collect, use and disclose any personal information for children under the age of 13. In accordance with National University Virtual High School policy and COPPA regulations, we DO NOT:
- Request or knowingly collect personally identifiable information online or offline contact information from users under 13 years of age; or knowingly use or share personal information from users under 13 years of age with third parties.
- It is possible that by fraud or deception we may receive information given to us or pertaining to children under 13. If we are notified of this, as soon as we verify the information, we will immediately delete the information from our servers.
We desire to keep you in control of the personal information you provide to us. Accordingly, you can review, correct, change or remove the personal registration information you provide to National University Virtual High School and that National University Virtual High School controls.
If you do not want to receive e-mail from us in the future, please let us know by sending us email at the above address firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you supply us with your postal address online you may receive periodic mailings from us with information on new products and services or upcoming events. If you do not wish to receive such mailings, please let us know by calling us at (800) NAT-UNIV.
Persons who supply us with their telephone numbers online will only receive telephone contact from us with information regarding orders they have placed online. If you would not like to be contacted, please provide us with your name and phone number to ensure that we remove the correct person from the list.
Notwithstanding any language to the contrary, nothing contained herein constitutes nor is intended to constitute an offer, inducement, promise, or contract of any kind. The data contained herein is for informational purposes only and is not represented to be error free. Any links to information not owned by National University System and/or its affiliates are provided as a courtesy. They are not intended to, nor do they constitute an endorsement by the National University System and/or its affiliates of the linked materials, products, services, or information contained therein. National University System and/or its affiliates do not have any control over the privacy practices of these websites or information, and all visitors of these websites should read and understand the policies and privacy practices for external sites.
National University Virtual High School is committed to complying with US copyright law and respecting the rights of copyright holders, while simultaneously defending the academic freedom of faculty and providing the optimal learning experience for students. Faculty and staff will make a good faith effort to only use or distribute third-party copyrighted materials as allowed by purchase, license, fair use, or other legal provision. Anyone who participates in the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material may be subject to civil and criminal liabilities, in addition to sanctions imposed by National University Virtual High School. For more information, please see the website of the US Copyright Office at www.copyright.gov, and the related frequently asked questions at www.copyright.gov/help/faq. Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. Sec. 512(c)(2), notice of claims of copyright infringement should be directed to email@example.com. For additional copyright-related information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Privacy Notice
Lawful Basis for Collecting and Processing of Personal Data
Most of the collection and processing of personal data will include:
- Processing necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by National University System and/or its affiliates or third parties in providing educational opportunities and employment.
- Processing necessary for the performance of a contract to which the subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract.
- Processing necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which National University System and/or any of its affiliates is subject.
- The data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes. This lawful basis pertains primarily but not exclusively to the protection of research subjects.
There will be some instances where the collection and processing of personal data will be pursuant to other lawful bases.
Types of Personal Data Collected and Why
National University System and/or its affiliates collect a variety of personal and sensitive data to meet one of its lawful bases, as referenced above. Most often the data is used for admission, registration, delivery of classroom, on-line, and study abroad education, grades, communications, employment, program analysis for improvements, and records retention. If you have specific questions regarding the collection and use of your personal data, please contact the Office of Information Technology Information Security Office at email@example.com.
If a data subject refuses to provide personal data that is required, such refusal may make it impossible for National University System and/or its affiliates to provide education, employment, research or other requested services.
Personal data typically includes, but is not limited to:
|First name, last name, address, and any other contact information that can directly or indirectly identify the data subject.||Collected directly from you, the data subject, through: application forms, online forms, emails, phone calls, chats, SMS, shared files.|
Individual Rights of the Data Subject under the EU GDPR
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
- Right to judicial review – in the event that National University Virtual High School refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why.
- Right to complain – in the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by National University Virtual High School.
National University System and/or its affiliates will process and store personal data for no longer than it is necessary for the specified above purpose(s).
Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted directly here:
National University System
Office of Information Technology, Information Security Office
11355 N Torrey Pines Rd
La Jolla, CA 92037